When is a work permit or a confirmation of the possibility to fill a vacant position not required?
With regard to the purpose of this webpage, we selected only the most important provisions from the complete list. A work permit or the confirmation of the possibility of filling a vacancy is NOT required in case:
- you have successfully graduated from a high school or university (higher education institution) in the territory of the SR
- you will be employed for a maximum of one year in order to increase your qualification
- you are younger than 26 years and you will be employed in occasional and time-limited jobs within exchanges between schools or within youth and education programmes, in which the SR participates
- you have been granted a temporary residence for the purpose of study at university, or carrying out mobility in Slovakia within an EU programme (e.g. Erasmus+), Slovak governmental programme (e.g. National Scholarship Programme), a multilateral programme suporting mobility (e.g. CEEPUS) or within an agreement between higher education institutions, and your employment will not exceed 20 hours per week
- you have been granted a temporary residence for the purpose of research and development and will carry out research or development on the basis of a Hosting agreement
- you have been granted a temporary residence for the purpose of research and development and your employment related to lecturing will not exceed 50 days in a calendar year
- your employment in the territory of the SR will not exceed 30 days in a calendar year, and you are a pedagogic employee, an academic employee at a higher education institution, a scientific, research or development worker, participating in a professional scientific event or an artist participating in an artistic event
- you have been granted a temporary residence in Slovakia and you have a long‑term residency status in another EU member state, after 12 months from the start of your stay in Slovakia
- you have been granted a temporary residence for the purpose of family reunification and you are a family member of a researcher with a temporary residence for the purpose of research and development with a Hosting Agreement or of an EU Blue Card holder
- you are a family member of an EU national with the right to reside in the territory of the SR
- you have been granted a temporary residence for the purpose of family reunification, after 12 months from the start of a continuous residence in Slovakia
- you have been granted a permanent residence in Slovakia
- you have been granted a temporary residence of a third country national who has a recognised status of a Slovak living abroad,
- you are to be employed upon a commitment of the Slovak Republic under an international treaty defining that the work permit is not required for this type of employment (e.g. working holidays with Canada, New Zealand, ROC – Taiwan, Australia, Japan).
In case a work permit or a confirmation of the possibility to fill a vacant position are not required, the employees can be employed, not only in an employment relationship, but also upon agreements on work performed outside employment relationship (e.g. work performance agreement, agreement on part‑time job of students, agreement on work activity).