Who does not need a work permit or a confirmation of the possibility to fill a vacant position?
With regard to the purpose of this webpage, we selected only the most important provisions from the complete list. A work permit or the confirmation of the possibility of filling a vacancy is NOT required in case:
- you are a university student with a granted temporary residence for the purpose of studies, or carrying out a student mobility in Slovakia whose employment does not exceed 20 hours per week,
- you are granted a temporary residence for the purpose of research and development and carry out research or development on the basis of a Hosting Agreement concluded with a research organisation,
- you are granted a temporary residence for the purpose of research and development or is in Slovakia within the Intra-European mobility and your employment related to lecturing will not exceed 50 days in a calendar year,
- you are carrying out research in Slovakia within the Intra-EU mobility scheme with Hosting Agreement
- you are a graduate of a high school or higher education institution (university) in Slovakia,
- you are less than 26 years old and will be employed in occasional and time-limited jobs within exchanges between schools or within youth and education programmes, in which Slovakia participates,
- you are a pedagogic employee, an academic employee, a university teacher, a scientific, research or development staff participating in a professional scientific event or an artist participating in an artistic event, whose employment in the territory of Slovakia will not exceed 30 days in a calendar year,
- you are granted a temporary residence in Slovakia as a person with the long-term residency status in another EU member state, after 12 months of stay in Slovakia,
- you are granted a temporary residence for the purpose of family reunification as a family member of a researcher with a temporary residence for the purpose of research and development or of an EU Blue Card holder, immediately after being granted a temporary residence,
- you are a family member of a researcher carrying out research in Slovakia within the intra-EU mobility scheme, and has been granted residence permit in Slovakia
- you are a family member of an EU national with the right to reside in Slovakia,
- you are granted a temporary residence for the purpose of family reunification, after 12 months of stay in Slovakia,
- you are granted a permanent residence in Slovakia,
- you are granted a temporary residence of a third country national who has a recognised status of a Slovak living abroad,
- you are employed upon a commitment of the Slovak Republic under an international treaty defining that the work permit is not required for this type of employment (e.g. working holidays with Canada and New Zealand),
- undertaking professional training or vocational training in school or school facilities
In case a work permit or a confirmation of the possibility to fill a vacant position are not required, the employees can be employed, not only in an employment relationship, but also upon agreements on work performed outside employment relationship (e.g. work performance agreement, agreement on part‑time job of students, agreement on work activity).
In case of employing a third country national who does not need a work permit or a confirmation of the possibility to fill a vacant position, the employer is obliged to:
- to report a job vacancy to the competent Office of Labour, Social Affairs and Family via the online system ISTP or via an official form for reporting a job vacancy „Nahláška voľného pracovného miesta“
- inform the Labour Office (corresponding to the place of work) about the beginning and the termination of his/her employment using the form “Informačná karta o vzniku/skončení pracovnoprávneho vzťahu alebo o vyslaní na výkon práce/skončení vyslania na výkon práce štátneho príslušníka tretej krajiny"