Mandatory public health insurance
Holders of the mandatory public health insurance are entitled to the health care provision and all related services in compliance with the Act on Health Insurance. Public health insurance covers benefits in full or to a partial extent, depending on specific conditions.
According to the Act on Health Insurance, compulsory public health insurance applies to every person with a permanent residence in the territory of the Slovak Republic. A proof of health insurance is required also as a part of a temporary residence granting procedure.
Mandatory public health insurance does not apply to an individual with permanent residence in Slovakia if they
- are employed abroad and covered by the health insurance in the country of employment;
- perform a self‑employment activity abroad and are covered by the health insurance abroad;
- are staying abroad for a long‑term (more than 6 months) and are covered by health insurance in that country.
Mandatory public health insurance also applies to a person without a permanent residence in Slovakia (unless medically insured in another EU Member State or in a State Party to the European Economic Area Agreement and in the Swiss Confederation (hereinafter a Member State)), which
- is employed by an employer established or with a fixed establishment within the territory of the Slovak Republic receiving a monthly salary at least in the amount of the minimum wage (this does not apply if he/she performs activities in Slovakia upon a student employment agreement), or
- is a self-employed person in Slovakia,
- is a student from another Member State or a student from a third country studying at school in the Slovak Republic upon an international treaty binding upon Slovakia
- is a dependent child who has been granted a temporary residence in Slovakia and at least one of his/her legal representatives (parents) is covered by public health insurance, too.
The compulsory public health insurance coverage begins on the date of occurrence of the facts set out above, or the date of obtaining a permanent residence in the Slovak Republic. Within eight days of this date, the person is required to submit an application for public health insurance in a health insurance company.
There are currently 3 health insurance companies providing public health insurance in Slovakia: