Health insurance for students (including PhD students)


Foreign students are obliged to have a health insurance coverage (public or individual) during their stay in the Slovak Republic in compliance with the provisions of the Act on the Residence of Foreigners.

Public health insurance of students pursuing full‑time studies in Slovakia is paid by the state (if the case of PhD studies for a maximum of standard duration of a full‑time PhD degree programme, the PhD student could not have previously received a PhD degree and mustn't be more than 30 years old).

An EU/EEA/Swiss national insured in another Member State shall present the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to the health care provider in order to prove his/her entitlement to the medical treatment upon his/her health insurance in another EU/EEA Member State or Switzerland. See more information on EHIC.

Students from the EU/EEA/Switzerland who are not medically insured in their home country or students from third countries, who are coming to Slovakia to study within a programme arising from an international treaty that is binding upon the Slovak Republic, are subject to the public health insurance, the Slovak Republic being the payer of such insurance. The student shall submit the necessary documents certifying his/her study at a higher education institution in the Slovak Republic and his/her international status – proved by the Ministry of Education, Science, Research and Sport of the Slovak Republic – to the chosen health insurance provider within 8 days from the beginning of the study in Slovakia.

Third country nationals without a permanent residence in the Slovak Republic and who do not study upon an international
agreement binding upon the Slovak Republic does not fall within the scope of the public health insurance. The commercial health insurance is necessary in their case since health insurance (public or commercial) is compulsory for any resident.

A proof of health insurance must be submitted to the foreign police in compliance with the duties related to the temporary residence granting procedure.