Temporary residence for the purpose of study


Students from third countries staying in Slovakia for longer than 90 days shall apply for a temporary residence for the purpose of study. You have to apply in person abroad at the Slovak embassy/consulate competent for your country or at a respective foreign police office in Slovakia. You have to submit a complete application; otherwise, it will not be accepted.

If the embassy or the police department does not accept the application, they will notify you in writing of the documents you need to enclose so that it can be accepted. Once your temporary residence is granted, the police department will send you a written notice, stating the effective and the expiry date of your residence. The time validity of a travel document is not regarded when deciding on the duration of a granted temporary residence but it is taken into account when the residence card is issued. As for its validity, 60 days are deducted from your travel document's expiry date.

Complete application consists of the following documents:

  • completed application form "Application for the temporary residence" (has to be filled in the Slovak language)

  • 2 recent full‑face photographs 3 × 3.5 cm

  • valid passport

  • document proving the purpose of your stay (in Slovak) - a confirmation of studies letter from a state authority (respective ministry) or a host university, or a confirmation from an organisation administering a programme approved by the government or a European programme under a contract with the competent state authority (scholarship award letter)

  • document proving sufficient financial resources for your stay (in Slovak) (e.g. a balance statement of a bank account in the name of the applicant, a letter of award stating the amount of your scholarship, a confirmation of the financial and material support of the applicant during his/her stay from the statutory body of a legal entity, etc.)

  • extract from your criminal record with apostille or superlegalisation from your country of origin and from every country where you have stayed for more than 90 days during 6 consecutive months within the last 3 years (if any). The document has to be translated to Slovak language by an official, sworn translator (the list of accepted sworn translators can be found here – section 'Prekladatelia' in the left menu, but it is available in Slovak only), or by the Slovak embassy/consulate competent to accept your application for the temporary residence (such a translation must indicate the approval clause of the embassy proving the conformity with the original). The extracts issued in the Czech language do not need to be translated into Slovak. Students of secondary schools are exempted from the duty to file extracts from their criminal records

  • foreigners studying at university in Slovakia do NOT have to enclose a confirmation of accommodation.


None of the documents proving the purpose of your stay, financial resources or no criminal record can be older than 90 days on the day of submitting the application for a temporary residence.


Fee: 4.50 € for the residence card



Slovak embassy which receives the application will interview the applicant for the temporary residence for the purpose of a preliminary assessment of the application. The interview will be conducted in Slovak or another language understandable to both parties. The embassy will prepare a written record of the interview and attach it to the application for a temporary residence. The record shall be made in the language in which the interview was held, and it must be signed by the applicant. (If the applicant does not speak Slovak, he/she may turn to an interpreter at his/her own expenses who must then sign the record.) The embassy will send its position on the granting of a temporary residence to the police department along with the record and its translation (in case the interview was held in another language than Slovak).

Within 30 days from the date of submitting a complete application, the foreign police office shall either issue a negative decision or a notification of granting the temporary residence. If applying for a temporary residence directly at a foreign police office in Slovakia, the officers will ask you to provide a mobile phone number (you can write the number on your application form). You will be notified by a text message in Slovak when your residence card is ready at the foreign police office (typically within 30 days). You have to collect the residence card at the foreign police office in person or you can appoint somebody else with a power of attorney to do it for you. When applying for a temporary residence from abroad via a representative body, it is advised to consult with them the way of notification on granting the residence as well as the collection of the residence card.

Once you are granted a temporary residence, you are obliged to submit a medical certificate confirming that you do not suffer from any exotic disease threatening public health within 30 days from the collection of your residence card. The certificate cannot be older than 30 days. It can be obtained in specific medical centres only and a fee will be charged.

The police department shall grant a temporary residence for the purpose of study for the expected period of the study, for a maximum of 6 years. The temporary residence for the purpose of study remains valid for up to 30 days after the completion of university studies for the purpose of job‑searching. The university diploma and the state examination certificate serve as a proof of the completed studies.

An application for the renewal of a temporary residence has to be filed by the student in person using an official form at the foreign police department no later than the last day of the current temporary residence validity. The temporary residence is deemed valid on the territory of Slovakia after its expiration until the decision on the application for the renewal of a temporary residence. In the case of applying for a renewal of a temporary residence, it is not necessary to submit a document proving no criminal record. 

Conditions, under which students and PhD students can work alongside with studying are briefly explained in the section Employment.