Duties of a foreign national on termination of his/her employment and leaving Slovakia



It is necessary to visit the office of the respective Health insurance company and DEREGISTER from the system of public insurance in Slovakia. If not, you will be still considered as a health insurance holder (even if the employer deregisters you) and as such the company would claim paying the contributions. You should do so, within 8 days after you finish the employment in Slovakia.

Documents that might be required in case of EU/ EEA citizens: work contract with the end date stated + residence card for the stay in Slovakia with final date stated. If the residence card is valid in time of deregistration, the Letter of confirmation of residence (with the final date stated) issued by a competent foreign police should be submitted at the respective Health insurance company.

In case of third country nationals the Letter of confirmation of residence is not required because health insurance expires together with termination of employment contract.

More information: https://www.vszp.sk/poistenci/chcem-poistit/zanik-poistneho-vztahu.html (in Slovak only).


If you plan to leave the territory of Slovakia before your permanent/ temporary residence expires, you are required to report the end of your stay in Slovakia to respective foreign police department in person or in writing. You must also return your residence card. This can also be done in person or by mail after your departure from Slovakia. It is also possible to return it to the Embassy of the Slovak Republic in whichever country you moved to.


After the taxation period (that is one calendar year) the annual clearing of taxes is made by filing the tax return (declaration of taxes).

The deadline for submitting the tax return is 31 March every year (with the possibility of postponing this deadline for 3–6 months upon sending the notification to the competent tax office until 31 March).

More infomartion: https://www.euraxess.sk/en/main/info/working/taxation/direct-taxes


  • apply for redirection of your mail at the post office
  • cancel a rental agreement
  • cancel utilities/ shut down service
  • cancel phone/internet/TV
  • cancel other insurances (e.g. car insurance, household insurance etc.)
  • close a bank account
  • deregister a car
  • deregister your children at their day-care and school




Deregister the employee from the Social Insurance company within 8 days after the termination of employment (the respective university department shall easily deal with it).

Deregister the employee from the Health insurance company within 8 working days after the termination of employment.



The employer should notify the respective Labour office about termination of employment of an EU national  within 7 working days thereof on the form. Two originals of the form are required.